The eighth installment of the National Swimming Pool Foundation® (NSPF®) Pool & Spa Operator™ Handbook is now available.
The 2017 edition includes updates and additions that were provided by NSPF Instructors and industry experts throughout the past three years, since the last publication in 2014. In a rapidly evolving aquatic industry, NSPF strives to provide the latest information to industry professionals. Updating the handbook, which is the resource guide for the Certified Pool Operator® (CPO®) certification course, is one way the non-profit organization accomplishes this goal.
“Caring for pools and spas requires knowledge of chemistry, engineering, microbiology, physics, public health, regulations and more,” says NSPF’s CEO Thomas Lachocki, PhD. “We are able to provide new, relevant details in the handbook thanks to all who help us keep pace with these fast-changing technological and regulatory knowledge areas.”
Changes to the handbook include updated text, charts, pictures, cover art, and acknowledgments. More specific changes include:
- Updated Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) information;
- Modified volume formula;
- Updated statistics on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) inspections;
- New studies on Crypto, Norovirus outbreaks, treating Crypto, and Legionella statistics;
- Disinfectant charts and active strength percentages;
- Modified breakpoint chlorination, potassium monopersulfate, and metallic algaecides information and an added section on chloramine prevention;
- Updated recommended pool temperatures per the Red Cross;
- Added information about the expanding industry of float tanks;
- Updated CDC statistics on drowning, data on the Virginia Graeme Baker Act (VGBA), and added Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) text; and
- Added information on advanced service technician training.
“We enable the pool and spa industry to continue entrusting us with their training needs, by ensuring our products are updated to industry standards with expert input from educators and leaders worldwide. Our products help keep pools safer, open, and efficient, encouraging people to live healthier lives,” says the NSPF’s product development manager, Rose Lyda.
The 2017 Pool & Spa Operator Handbook is available for purchase now and will also be bundled with the purchase of the online Pool Operator Primer ™ (POP™). Click here for more information.